Who loves ICE CREAM?! With a little experimentation and fun I created homemade ice cream. Excuse the image quality, I was shaking with happiness when I realized what I had just made.
* The following measurements are approximate. This is the first time I made this ice cream, and I didn't measure anything. So feel free to switch around the measurements, and do what is best for you. My camera man did not think the ice cream was sweet enough but I thought it was fine. The first couple of bites might have tasted a little like play-dough, but whatever.. it was homemade and I was happy!
- 1/4 C almond milk (I bet you could use regular milk as well)
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tbs sugar ( I did not use any, but if you like it a little sweet I would add some)
- 3 zip lock bags (freezer kind if possible)
- ice cubes
- salt (lowers the freezing point of the ice cubes)
- Mix the almond milk, vanilla extract and sugar in zip lock bag. I would put it in a thick freezer kind, just so no leaks occur, but no big deal if you do not have them. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and seal.
- Place your zip lock bag in another zip lock bag. Make sure all air is squeezed out of both bags! Seal it up.
- Place both bags in ANOTHER zip lock bag, but to this one add plenty of ice and salt, so that it surrounds the other bag filled with the almond milk mixture. Seal.
Grab a towel to wrap around the zip lock bags and begin to shake, does NOT have to be furious. Just get the mixture moving a little. Do this for about 5 minutes. Then place in freezer for about 5 minutes, then pull out and shake for another 5 minutes. This is what I did and then end product was awesome. I am not sure if it is necessary to put back in the freezer, but I was tired of mixing it around and thought putting it in the freezer would be the best place while I rested before I started my mixing again.
Check the mixture and continue to move it around until you see it becoming more solid... it is such an exciting feeling when you realized you have made ice cream!!!
When your mixture is more or less solid(ish) take it out of the two bags, and then cut a little corner off of the last bag containing your ice cream . Squeeze contents out... and there you have it :)