I have tried cauliflower pizza before, and I really enjoyed it. BUT I think this is a whole new level!
I saw this recipe on pinterest and thought I'd give it a try. I was nervous to disappoint my camera man, but he loved it. The recipe has a little prep work, but then it is so, so easy! A must try!
Disclaimer: This recipe does have cheese, and almond meal. So if you are anti cheese, or are allergic to nuts, my recipe will not work for you!
This recipe is supposedly for 2, but I could have eaten it all myself. You can double the recipe if you are cooking for you and someone else. I think they are easy to eat! OR you can follow this recipe exactly the way it is and have a soup or a salad on the side. Just know you will probably want to eat more... if you are hungry.
- 1 large zucchini (about a foot long) I used 4 small zucchini instead. They were organic so they do not come very big. OR you could use maybe 2 small and one medium. You get the idea?
- 1/2 C finely grated mozzarella cheese
- 5TBS almond meal (I bought this but it is not cheap. You can make your own if you want. Just make sure to make the almonds into a powder, and don't over mix or else you will have almond butter)
- 3TBS finely grated parm cheese
- 1tsp oregano
- 2tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning (recipe didn't ask for this but I thought it went well)
- 1 egg
Camera man had made meat sauce the prior day so we just used that. Do you have a favorite sauce you like to make? Or maybe a jar of sauce that you use (yes I like things homemade but if time does not allow I bet a semi homemade sauce will do!)
OR follow the blogs sauce recipe. It looks easy.
- The recipe asks for MORE cheese on top. We added enough cheese to the crush that more cheese really isn't necessary. I didn't miss it at all.
- Your sauce!
- 10-15 basil leaves. This is a must! So much freshness and really adds a great flavor.
Preheat oven to 450
Cut the zucchini into chunks and place in a food processor. I use a mini hand held food processor and it worked great. Grate into small pieces.You do NOT want it to be mush.
Place zucchini in microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 5 minutes. Take it out and let it sit until cool.
While zucchini is cooling make a separate bowl of the other ingredients (the cheese, spices, and almond meal). Add the eggs last. Mix.
After zucchini is cool put in cheese cloth (these things are great) and squeeze as much water out of the zucchini as you can. This step is SO IMPORTANT. I think it really helps the zucchini pizza hold together. If you do not have a cheese cloth get one... or does anyone have any alternatives? SQUEEZE OUT THAT WATER. You will be amazed on how much comes out. I got my cheese cloth from ACE hardware. Weird I know.
Add the zucchini to the cheese, spice, and egg mixture. Mix together.
Grease flat cooking sheet/pan.
Make two balls with the zucchini mixture. And place the balls on the pan. Press down on the balls to make two disks.
Cook for about 12-15 minutes. Will turn golden brown in some parts. (Its the cheese!!! YUM!)
Take pizza out with spatula. Put on sauce and basil. I ate it with a fork and knife, and had sliced cucumbers on the side. YUMMMMMMY. DELSIH!!!!!! ENJOY! XOXOX