Homemade cashew milk is so freaking good and so easy to make. I also love making my frozen bananana cashew milk smoothie. I will give you both recipes!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups water (maybe a little less for more creamy milk)
- 1 large bowl
- cheese cloth (I doubled mine)
optional EXTRAS (pick and choose!):
- ground powdered ginger
- 1 date (pitted and soaked to soften)
- vanilla extract
- whatever floats your boat
- soak cashews in water for 4 hours to overnight
- drain cashews and rinse until water runs clear
- blend cashews with 4 cups of water (I put a little less) - Each blender is different but I would say about two minutes on high. Let it rock and roll in there. You want it to look like milk, so don't rush it!
- Pour the milk ( preferably in a doubled cheese cloth) and squeeze out into a large bowl. I learned the hard way and made a mess trying to squeeze the milk out into a cup.
*TIP: Pour the milk part by part in the cheese cloth and slowly work/squeeze the milk through. This will take a little time but squeeze as much milk out before you add more milk to the cloth.
You will be left with the "cashew pulp". I usually toss mine but I bet you can find something to do with it.
Making nut milk is so fun and you can get creative with it! You can leave it very simple with just the nuts and water blended and it tastes great, or to make the cashew milk a little more interesting you can add in some "extras" during the blending process .
FROZEN BANANA CASHEW MILK SMOOTHIE
Base of smoothie (you can leave it simple and delicious just like this or add on extras below). I could not be more obsessed with this smoothie. You will LOVE IT!
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 FROZEN banana
Pick and choose your add ons: (I would blend the "add ons" with the milk and banana).
- maple syrup
- vanilla extras
- 1 date softened and pitted (for extra sweetness)
- What else would you add?