This soup is SO special. Yes I love vegetables but this soup is so special not because of the wonderful veggies but rather because of the seasoning. It is VERY flavorful and intense, in a good way. This could go down in history as one of my favorite (non pureed) soups. My friend gave me this recipe from Pinterest and I switched it around a tad to make it my own.
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups baby kale (you can use more if you would like!)
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tomatoes (vine ripe if possible) chopped
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 1 1/2 TBS Turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper or more if you like heat!
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs fresh ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste if you would like)
- Pepper to taste (adding pepper increases the bio availability of turmeric- helping your body absorb more of the nutrients!)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- Heat the largest pot you have for 40 seconds over medium heat, then add about 2 tbs of EVOO or any other oil you prefer. Warm up oil for another 20 seconds then add in chopped onions and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add in all the spices including the ginger. Stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and lentils. Stir for a minute then finally add in your sweet potato, 6 cups broth, and 1 cup water.
- Bring pot to a boil, cover and reduce to low, letting cook for about 30 minute.
- After about 30 minutes add in your baby kale and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
Comment below and let me know how it goes! Did you make any changes to the recipe?
** If I am going to be eating/ serving all the soup right away I add in all the Kale while cooking (like the recipe says). BUT if I know that I will be reheating it and eating it for the next couple of days then I only add in some kale, and right before I heat up the soup to eat the next day I will add in more fresh baby kale! ALSO, if you do not have kale feel free to use baby spinach, or regular Kale just cut up small.